Fin Maverick
Foundations VocabularyAccounting & ReportingEconomics & MacroQuant Methods & ProgrammingBusiness & Company AnalysisCorporate Finance & ValuationBehavioural Finance
Banking & Market InfrastructureFixed Income & RatesDerivatives & Structured ProductsPublic EquitiesTransactions & DealsPortfolio ConstructionFunds & AMCs
Private Markets & AlternativesRisk, Treasury & ControlAI & Digital FinanceStochastic Calculus & PricingWealth & Personal FinanceIndian Markets & RegulationProfessional Practice
CalculatorComparison
Frameworks
Explore Bootcamps
Equity ResearchPortfolio ManagementMutual Fund MasteryInvestment Banking Analyst
Private Equity AnalystQuant & Hedge Fund AnalystBreaking Into VCFinancial Analyst Program
Risk Management ProgramPrivate Wealth ManagementDebt Capital MarketsDerivatives Foundation
Explore Free Courses

Equity Research6

Writing an Investment ThesisBuilding a Discounted Cash FlowReading an Annual Report FastReading a Sector Before a CompanySpotting Quality of Earnings Red FlagsBuilding a Revenue Forecast From Drivers

Portfolio Management3

Rebalancing: When, Why and What It CostsStrategic and Tactical Asset AllocationMeasuring Risk in a Portfolio

Mutual Fund Mastery3

Comparing Funds Without Being FooledHow a NAV Is Struck and Which Day You GetReading a Fund Factsheet Properly

Derivatives Unlocked4

Hedging a Real ExposureThe Greeks, PracticallyFutures, the Basis and What Moves ItReading an Option Payoff

AI For Finance2

Retrieval and Grounding for FinanceDocument Extraction in Finance

Breaking Into Quants4

Backtesting a StrategyHypothesis TestingCleaning Financial DataRegression for Finance

Breaking Into VC3

Sizing a MarketReading a Term Sheet as a FounderHow a Venture Round Actually Works

Financial Analyst Program4

Common Size and Trend AnalysisReading a Cash Flow StatementRatio Analysis That Says SomethingBuilding a Working Capital Schedule

Risk Management Program2

Credit Exposure and How It Is ReducedValue at Risk and What It Hides

Investment Banking Analyst3

Precedent Transactions and Why They DifferReading a Term Sheet StructurallyBuilding a Comparable Companies Table

Private Wealth Management3

Tax Aware Portfolio DecisionsBuilding a Client Risk ProfileGoal Based Planning Arithmetic

Debt Capital Markets3

Analysing an Issuer's CreditDuration and What It Does Not Tell YouBond Pricing and Yield Mechanics

Private Equity Analyst2

Fund Waterfalls and CarryThe LBO in Structure

Hedge Funds Analyst2

Short Selling MechanicsLong Short Mechanics
QuarksCourses
Explore Interview Preparation
Investment BankingEquity ResearchVenture CapitalistPrivate EquityHedge Funds
QuantFinancial AnalysisPrivate Wealth ManagementDebt Capital MarketsRisk Management
Derivatives FoundationPortfolio ManagementMutual Fund Mastery
PartnershipsShowdown
Log inSign up
Interview tracksAll
1Investment Banking
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
2Equity Research
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
3Venture Capital
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
4Private Equity
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
5Hedge Funds
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
6Quant
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
7Financial Analysis
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
8Private Wealth Management
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
9Debt Capital Markets
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
10Risk Management
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
11Derivatives Foundation
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
12Portfolio Management
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies
13Mutual Fund Mastery
Question bankPuzzlesCase studies

Derivatives Foundation interview preparation

The full derivatives syllabus from no-arbitrage pricing through the Greeks, the volatility surface, swaps, CDS and clearing, plus the Indian index-options market. Every question is either traced to a named firm from a public candidate report, or tagged at desk level when we could not trace it - we do not invent attributions.

Jump to the question bank
Go deeper

Derivatives Foundation Bootcamp

Question banks tell you what gets asked. This course gives you the work behind an answer that survives a follow-up.

Explore the course →
Question bank

100 questions, mapped to the firms that asked them

Questions
100
Traced to a firm
29
Firms
19
Updated
September 2026
Asked at
All firmsMSMorgan Stanley4Nomura4Akuna Capital2Amundi2HSBC2PIMCO2Bank of America1Barclays1Citadel1DRW1Goldman Sachs1Jane Street1Millennium Management1Mizuho1Old Mission Capital1RCRBC Capital Markets1Scotiabank1UBS1Wells Fargo Securities1
Topic
All topicsForwards and futures10Options basics8Option pricing7The Greeks10Volatility7Option strategies9Swaps and rates7Credit derivatives4Market structure and clearing6Indian derivatives8Trading and markets9Brainteasers6Fit9
Level
AnyCoreIntermediateHard
Type
AnyTechnicalCaseMarket viewBrainteaserFit
Showing 1–3 of 3 · filtered from 100Clear filters
  1. 086Two separate games have the same expected value. Which would you choose?BrainteasersIntermediatetechnicalAkuna CapitalSales and Trading · Chicago · 2025

    Say this

    Expected value is not enough information, so I would ask about the variance, whether I can play repeatedly, and what fraction of my capital is at stake. Same expected value, lower variance wins if I play once. If I can play many times and size small, I would take the higher variance game if it has any edge, because repetition converts edge into certainty.

    Then walk it

    1. First, name what is missing: the distributions. Two games can share an expected value and have completely different shapes — one pays 1 with certainty, the other pays 1,000 with probability one in a thousand.
    2. One-shot, meaningful fraction of capital: take the low variance game. Utility is concave and a single large loss is not recoverable, which is the whole content of the Kelly and utility arguments.
    3. Repeated play with small sizing: variance matters much less because the law of large numbers works for you. Then I would prefer whichever game has the better edge per unit of capital tied up, and the higher variance one may well be more profitable per dollar deployed.
    4. The crucial extra question is ruin. If the high variance game can take me to zero, no expected value justifies it, because zero is absorbing. So my real decision rule is: maximise growth subject to never risking ruin, which is Kelly sizing, not expected value maximisation.
    5. A concrete version: a coin flip paying 2 to 1 on heads has a positive edge, and betting your whole stack each time gives you an expected value that rises and a probability of ruin that approaches one. Expected value and survival are different objectives.
    6. So the answer I would actually give a trader: I choose neither until I know the variance and the sizing, and then I size by Kelly and prefer the game with the better ratio of edge to variance. That ratio is the Sharpe ratio, and preferring it is the same instinct as running a book rather than making a bet.

    Where candidates lose it

    Picking one and defending it. The question has no answer as stated, and the interviewer is testing whether you ask for variance, repetition and sizing. A candidate who says 'they are the same, so I am indifferent' has failed. A candidate who asks three questions before choosing has passed.

    Expect next

    • What if you could play a thousand times?
    • What if one game could take you to zero?
    • How would you size the bet?

    Reported by candidates at Akuna Capital (Sales and Trading, Chicago, 2025). Source: Wall Street Oasis.

  2. 087Make me a market on something you cannot know. Now, how much would you risk to win 100 dollars if the real answer is inside your market?BrainteasersIntermediatetechnicalAkuna CapitalTrading · Chicago · 2025

    Say this

    If I believe my own market, the answer being inside it is the outcome I expect, so I should be willing to risk a meaningful amount — but the question is a test of whether my market was honest. The right response is to state my confidence as a probability, then size the bet from that probability, not from bravado.

    Then walk it

    1. First, be clear what a market means: a bid and an offer I am willing to be traded on either side of. If I quote 40 at 60, I am saying I will buy at 40 and sell at 60, and the width is my uncertainty.
    2. So the follow-up question is really 'what is your confidence that the answer lies between 40 and 60?' If I say 80 percent, the fair stake to win 100 is around 25 — because at 4 to 1 in my favour, risking 25 to win 100 is the break-even at 80 percent.
    3. That arithmetic is the answer: my willingness to bet has to be consistent with the width I quoted. If I quoted a tight market and then refuse to bet, my market was dishonest. If I quoted a wide market and bet enormously, I was sandbagging.
    4. Then apply a sizing discount for the fact that the interviewer has information I do not, or is choosing the question because it is adversarial. Betting against someone who knows the answer means adverse selection, and the correct response to adverse selection is to widen the market, not to bet bigger.
    5. So I would say: I quote 40 at 60, I am about 75 to 80 percent confident, and I would risk 20 to win 100 — and if you want me to risk more than that, I need to widen my market first. That trade-off between width and size is exactly the market maker's job.
    6. And I would say the meta-point out loud, because it is the point: the test is consistency between my quoted uncertainty and my willingness to back it. A trader who cannot price their own confidence cannot be trusted to price anything else.

    Where candidates lose it

    Answering with a number to look brave, or refusing to bet at all. Both fail. The answer must tie the stake to the probability implied by the width you quoted, and it should mention adverse selection — the interviewer picked this question for a reason. Consistency is being graded, not courage.

    Expect next

    • Your market was 40 at 60. What probability does your bet imply?
    • I want to bet ten times that size. What do you do?
    • Why should you widen rather than bet bigger when I know more than you?

    Reported by candidates at Akuna Capital (Trading, Chicago, 2025). Source: Wall Street Oasis.

  3. 090How many taxis are there in Hong Kong Central?BrainteasersIntermediatetechnicalHSBCSales and Trading · Hong Kong · 2026

    Say this

    I would build it from demand rather than guess at a fleet. Central has roughly 250,000 to 300,000 daytime workers and visitors, say 10 percent take a taxi on a given day, so about 25,000 to 30,000 trips. A taxi does maybe 25 trips a day, so around 1,000 to 1,200 taxis serving Central at any time. As a sanity check, Hong Kong licenses about 18,000 taxis in total, so Central holding 5 to 7 percent of them is plausible.

    Then walk it

    1. State the approach before the arithmetic: demand side, because I can estimate people and trips more reliably than I can estimate a fleet directly.
    2. Population of Central during the working day: it is a dense financial district, so a few hundred thousand is the right order. I would say 250,000 and flag that as my biggest uncertainty.
    3. Trips per person per day: most people walk or take the MTR in Central because it is compact and well-served, so I would use 10 percent rather than something higher. That gives 25,000 trips.
    4. Trips per taxi per day: a 10-hour shift with an average trip and repositioning taking 20 to 25 minutes gives roughly 25 trips. So 25,000 over 25 is about 1,000 taxis.
    5. Then the cross-check from the supply side, which is what makes the answer credible: Hong Kong's total licensed fleet is around 18,000, a number that is publicly known and stable because licences are capped. My 1,000 to 1,200 for Central is a believable share of it.
    6. And I would name the sensitivity: the answer is most sensitive to the trips-per-person assumption. Double it to 20 percent and I get 2,000 taxis. So my honest answer is a range of roughly 1,000 to 2,000 with a central case around 1,200, and I would want the actual taxi stand data to tighten it.

    Where candidates lose it

    Guessing a number and then rationalising it. And in Hong Kong specifically, ignoring that Central is compact and MTR-dense — a candidate who uses a New York taxi propensity will be out by a factor of three. Cross-check from the licensed fleet, and name which assumption drives the answer.

    Expect next

    • Which assumption is your answer most sensitive to?
    • Now do it as a fleet-size estimate and see if the two agree.
    • How many beds are there in a New York hotel?

    Reported by candidates at HSBC (Sales and Trading, Hong Kong, 2026). Source: Wall Street Oasis.

Firm tags come from public, anonymous candidate reports on Wall Street Oasis: strong signal, not sworn testimony. Firms are named as the places a question was reported, not as partners of Fin Maverick. Answers are written for this page to show how to think out loud; they are not scripts to recite.

Puzzles

100 Derivatives Foundation puzzles, solved step by step

Try each one before you read the answer: probability, mental maths and the brainteasers interviewers use to watch you think.

Solve the puzzles →
Case studies

100 Derivatives Foundation case studies, worked step by step

A business, its numbers and a task, as in an assessment day or a case round. Work it on paper, then open the solution one step at a time.

Work the cases →
Fin Maverick Free CoursesExplore Free Courses
Fin Maverick BootcampsExplore Bootcamps
Fin Maverick

Finance education that ends in a job, not a certificate that gathers dust. Built for young India.

LEARN
CalculatorsFrameworksComparisonsInterview RoadmapsShowdown
RESOURCES
All CoursesFree CoursesBootcampsInternships
COMPANY
AboutJob openingPartnership
LEGAL
Privacy PolicyTerms & ConditionsContent LicenseReturn & Refund Policy
© 2026 FIN MAVERICK / BUILT FOR INDIA.DO FINANCE, DO NOT JUST READ ABOUT IT.