Derivatives Foundation interview preparation
The full derivatives syllabus from no-arbitrage pricing through the Greeks, the volatility surface, swaps, CDS and clearing, plus the Indian index-options market. Every question is either traced to a named firm from a public candidate report, or tagged at desk level when we could not trace it - we do not invent attributions.
100 questions, mapped to the firms that asked them
- Questions
- 100
- Traced to a firm
- 29
- Firms
- 19
- Updated
- September 2026
100What do you think makes a good derivatives trader, and which part of it would you be worst at?Prop trading firmsMarket making
Say this
Three things: being able to hold two probabilities at once — your view and your confidence in it — being ruthless about size, and being genuinely comfortable being wrong in public. The maths is table stakes. The part I would be worst at is cutting a position I still believe in, and I would rather say that than pretend the weakness is something cosmetic.
Then walk it
- First trait: calibration, not conviction. A good trader can say 'I think this is 60-40 and here is what would move it to 40-60'. The failure mode is a strong view with no sense of how strong it should be, which is how positions get oversized.
- Second: discipline about size. Almost every blow-up is a sizing failure rather than an analysis failure, and the traders who last size to survive being wrong rather than to maximise being right.
- Third: an unusual relationship with error. In this job you are publicly wrong several times a week, and the people who do well treat a loss as information rather than as an identity problem. That is a temperament, and it is more scarce than quantitative ability.
- Fourth, specific to derivatives: comfort with multidimensional risk. You can be right on direction and lose on volatility, right on volatility and lose on timing. That means being able to say precisely which of your views the position actually expresses.
- Then the weakness, stated as something real with a mitigation. 'I am slow to cut a position I still believe in, so I now write my exit level and my falsifier down before I enter, and I have a rule that I do not average down.' A named weakness with a named control is credible. A fake weakness is not.
- And I would say what I do not yet know, because a junior claiming to have this figured out is the least convincing possible answer. I have not run risk through a genuine dislocation, and the honest thing is that nobody knows how they behave in one until it happens.
Where candidates lose it
Naming traits that describe you conveniently, then giving a fake weakness like 'I care too much' or 'I work too hard'. The second half of the question is the whole test. Name a real weakness, name the control you put on it, and admit what you have not been tested on yet.
Expect next
- What is the control you use for that, and does it work?
- Have you ever had to hold risk through something that scared you?
- What would make you leave this job in three years?
Firm tags come from public, anonymous candidate reports on Wall Street Oasis: strong signal, not sworn testimony. Firms are named as the places a question was reported, not as partners of Fin Maverick. Answers are written for this page to show how to think out loud; they are not scripts to recite.

