Private Wealth Management interview preparation
Client discovery, goals-based planning, asset allocation, tax and estate structuring, products and the commercial reality of building a book, with substantial Indian content on PMS, AIFs, SEBI's adviser rules and family structures. Every question is either traced to a named firm from a public candidate report, or tagged at desk level when we could not trace it.
100 questions, mapped to the firms that asked them
- Questions
- 100
- Traced to a firm
- 22
- Firms
- 13
- Updated
- September 2026
067What do you think is a realistic amount of assets to bring in during your first year?Private bankingIndian wealth management
Say this
Honestly, close to nothing in the first six months and something modest after that, because the first year is licensing, learning and pipeline building. I would rather commit to activity numbers I control than to an asset number I cannot, and I would ask what the firm's own ramp expectation is.
Then walk it
- Say why the first months are structurally slow: exams to pass, a book to learn, and a sales cycle for a large relationship that runs two to four quarters from first meeting to funding. Any asset promise for month three is a promise about someone else's decision.
- Then commit to the inputs, which are mine: a specific number of new conversations a week, a defined niche, a target number of professional referral relationships, and a plan presented for every serious prospect.
- Give a shape rather than a single number, and make it grounded. In an Indian private bank context, a new adviser might realistically fund two to four relationships in year one at an average ticket of a few crore, with the pipeline built in year one converting in year two. Then ask them what their own expectation is, because it varies enormously by firm and by whether you are given accounts.
- Ask the questions that show you understand the model: am I inheriting any accounts, is there a team structure, is there a house lead flow, and what is the ramp-up support. The answers change the number by an order of magnitude and a candidate who does not ask has not thought about it.
- Show that you know how you would be measured beyond assets: retention, share of wallet on existing relationships, and referrals generated, which is often the more honest early indicator.
- And be clear that I know what I am signing up for: it takes two to three years to build something self-sustaining, most of the early effort produces nothing visible, and I am comfortable being measured on activity while that happens.
Where candidates lose it
Inflating the number to sound ambitious. Anyone who has done the job knows a fresh adviser bringing in 100 crore in year one is either inheriting a book or making it up, and the overclaim destroys your credibility on everything else. Commit to activity, ask about the ramp, and be honest about the lag.
Expect next
- What activity would you commit to weekly?
- Am I giving you any accounts to start with?
- How would you want to be measured in year one?
068A large part of this job is sales. Are you comfortable with that?Private bankingWealth management
Say this
Yes, and I would rather say so plainly than dress it up. The part I am comfortable with is convincing someone to do something that is good for them and asking for the business directly. What I am not comfortable with is selling a product because it pays more, and I would want to know how the firm handles that.
Then walk it
- Acknowledge the reality without flinching. Revenue in this business comes from persuading people to trust you with money, and an adviser who cannot ask for the mandate will not survive however good the analysis is.
- Give evidence rather than assertion. Anything where you persuaded someone with no obligation to say yes: running a society and recruiting members, a fundraising campaign, an internship where you brought in a client or a partner, a part-time job on commission. Specific and with a number attached.
- Show that you know what wealth management selling actually looks like: long cycles, several meetings, mostly listening, and the close usually being a small test mandate rather than a signature at the first meeting. Nothing like transactional selling.
- Separate the two things that get conflated. Business development, finding and winning clients, is the job and I want it. Product pushing, selling what the quarter requires, is the part of the industry that creates mis-selling, and I would rather name that distinction than pretend it does not exist.
- Then ask a question that shows you have thought about it: how are advisers here measured and paid, and is there a product target? Their answer tells you what kind of firm it is, and asking makes you look like a professional rather than an applicant.
- And close on the durable point: the best business development in this industry is doing good work for existing clients, because referrals from happy clients are the largest source of new assets almost everywhere. That is the version of selling I want to be good at.
Where candidates lose it
Saying 'I see myself as an adviser, not a salesperson'. That answer ends interviews at commission-driven houses, and it is not even true of fee-only practices, which also have to win clients. Own the sales element, evidence it, and draw the line at product pushing rather than at selling.
Expect next
- Tell me about a time you persuaded someone to do something.
- How are advisers paid here, and does that worry you?
- What would you do if you were behind on a product target?
Firm tags come from public, anonymous candidate reports on Wall Street Oasis: strong signal, not sworn testimony. Firms are named as the places a question was reported, not as partners of Fin Maverick. Answers are written for this page to show how to think out loud; they are not scripts to recite.
