Private Wealth Management interview preparation
Client discovery, goals-based planning, asset allocation, tax and estate structuring, products and the commercial reality of building a book, with substantial Indian content on PMS, AIFs, SEBI's adviser rules and family structures. Every question is either traced to a named firm from a public candidate report, or tagged at desk level when we could not trace it.
100 questions, mapped to the firms that asked them
- Questions
- 100
- Traced to a firm
- 22
- Firms
- 13
- Updated
- September 2026
063A large client asks you to do something you believe is wrong but not obviously illegal. What do you do?Private bankingWealth management
Say this
Slow it down, get it in writing, and escalate before I act rather than after. I would not refuse in the room without understanding it, and I would not quietly do it either. The test is whether the decision and the reasoning end up in a file someone else can read.
Then walk it
- First, understand it properly. Plenty of things that look wrong are ordinary once explained, a transfer to a family entity, an unusual remittance, a third-party payment with a legitimate reason. Ask, and record the explanation.
- Then separate the categories. If it is a regulatory or legal line, backdating an instruction, trading on information he should not have, an undocumented third-party transfer, there is no judgement call and no version where I accommodate it.
- If it is a suitability or a judgement issue, an investment I think is unwise for him, that is his prerogative. My job is to document my recommendation, his instruction and the fact that I explained the risk, and then execute.
- Escalate in writing and early: to my supervisor and to compliance, before the transaction. Verbal escalation protects nobody, and the one asked afterwards is always the person who did it.
- Manage the client honestly. Something like: 'I want to get this right for you, so I am checking with our compliance team before we act.' Framing it as diligence rather than suspicion usually keeps the relationship intact.
- And I would say the uncomfortable part plainly: no single relationship is worth my registration. In this industry the record follows you, and the person who accommodates a large client once becomes the person that client expects to accommodate him again.
Where candidates lose it
The hero answer, 'I would refuse and report him', and the accommodating answer, 'the client is always right', both fail. What they want is the escalation instinct: document, check with compliance before acting, and distinguish a legal line from a suitability disagreement where the client is entitled to overrule you.
Expect next
- What if your manager tells you to proceed?
- Where is the line between unwise and impermissible?
- Have you ever pushed back on someone senior?
Firm tags come from public, anonymous candidate reports on Wall Street Oasis: strong signal, not sworn testimony. Firms are named as the places a question was reported, not as partners of Fin Maverick. Answers are written for this page to show how to think out loud; they are not scripts to recite.
