Quant interview preparation
Prop market making and quantitative research, weighted the way the interviews actually are: probability and expected value, statistics and machine learning, market making logic, programming and options. Every question is either traced to a named firm from a public candidate report, or tagged at desk level when we could not trace it, and every probability answer shows the reasoning path rather than just the number.
100 questions, mapped to the firms that asked them
- Questions
- 100
- Traced to a firm
- 53
- Firms
- 15
- Updated
- September 2026
062You have made me a market. If the true answer falls inside your market, how much would you risk to win a hundred dollars?Akuna CapitalTrading · Chicago · 2025
Say this
That depends entirely on how wide I quoted and how confident I am, and those two are linked. If I quoted a tight market I should not be very confident the answer is inside it, so I would risk little. If I quoted wide, I should be confident, and I would risk more. The honest answer is to price my own probability and then bet a fraction of Kelly.
Then walk it
- The question is a consistency check. A tight market is a strong claim, and the interviewer is testing whether my stated width matches my stated confidence. If I said 300 at 310 on the number of Starbucks in New York and then say I am 90 percent sure the truth is inside, one of those is a lie.
- So I quantify. Suppose I think there is a 60 percent chance the answer is inside my market. Then risking x to win 100 has expected value 0.6 times 100 minus 0.4 times x, which is positive for x below 150. So fair value is 150 and I would bet meaningfully below that.
- Kelly gives the size: bet a fraction of capital equal to edge over odds. At 60 percent on an even-money-ish bet the full Kelly fraction is around 20 percent of capital, and I would take a quarter to a half of that, because my 60 percent is itself an estimate and overbetting Kelly is far more punishing than underbetting.
- I would also name the asymmetry in the setup. The interviewer chooses whether to take the bet, so they only take it when they think my price is wrong. That is adverse selection, and it means I should shade my number down from the naive fair value.
- So a concrete answer: with a 60 percent belief and an adversary who selects, I would risk around 50 to 70 dollars to win 100, and I would say out loud that I am shading below the 150 fair value because you get to choose whether to trade.
Where candidates lose it
Giving a bravado number like I'd risk a thousand, or refusing to name a figure. Both fail. Also failing to notice that your quoted width already implied a confidence level, so an answer inconsistent with your own market gets picked apart immediately. Name your probability, compute fair value, then shade for adverse selection.
Expect next
- So tighten your market and answer again.
- What if I let you choose which side of the bet to take?
- Explain why you shaded below fair value.
Reported by candidates at Akuna Capital (Trading, Chicago, 2025). Source: Wall Street Oasis.
066Explain the Kelly criterion, and why do real traders bet less than it says?Quant tradingProp trading firms
Say this
Kelly maximises the expected growth rate of your capital by betting a fraction equal to your edge divided by the odds. For an even-money bet at probability p, that fraction is 2p minus 1. Real traders bet a fraction of it because Kelly assumes you know your edge exactly, and overbetting is far more damaging than underbetting.
Then walk it
- The derivation in one line: maximise the expected log of wealth, because log wealth is additive across repeated bets and its expectation governs the long-run growth rate. For a bet paying b to 1 with win probability p, the optimal fraction is (pb minus (1-p)) over b.
- Numbers: a 55 percent even-money bet gives f equal to 0.1, so ten percent of capital. A 60 percent bet gives 20 percent. That is a lot more than most people's intuition, which is the first surprise of Kelly.
- For continuous returns the analogue is mean over variance, which is why a Sharpe ratio maps directly to a leverage level. Full Kelly leverage equals the Sharpe divided by the volatility.
- The asymmetry is the key insight. Growth rate as a function of bet size is a concave parabola, so betting half Kelly gives you three quarters of the growth with half the volatility. Betting double Kelly gives you zero growth. Overestimating your edge by a factor of two therefore destroys the entire benefit.
- And full Kelly's drawdowns are intolerable in practice: the probability of at some point halving your capital under full Kelly is fifty percent. Nobody running other people's money survives that, and no risk manager permits it. So a quarter to a half Kelly is standard, and the honest reason is parameter uncertainty plus career risk, not mathematics.
Where candidates lose it
Reciting the formula without the asymmetry. The gradeable insight is that the growth curve is flat near the optimum and falls off a cliff past it, which is why uncertainty in your edge estimate pushes you to bet less. Also mention the fifty percent chance of a fifty percent drawdown, because it makes the practical argument concrete.
Expect next
- What is the probability of a fifty percent drawdown under full Kelly?
- How does Kelly relate to mean-variance optimisation?
- How would you size when your edge estimate itself has a standard error?
071Here is a scenario. Walk me through how you would analyse the trade.SchonfeldQuantitative Research · New York · 2021
Say this
I would structure it as five questions: what is the thesis and what would make it wrong, what is the expected value, how do I size it, how do I hedge what I am not trying to be exposed to, and what is my exit. Then say the number, because a trade analysis without a number is an opinion.
Then walk it
- Thesis first, stated as a falsifiable claim with a horizon. Not this looks cheap, but I think this spread compresses from 80 to 50 basis points over three months because of a specific mechanism, and if it is still at 80 in three months I am wrong.
- Expected value: probability times payoff on each branch. If there is a 60 percent chance of making 3 and a 40 percent chance of losing 2, that is 1.8 minus 0.8, so plus 1 with a 5-point range of outcomes. The range matters as much as the mean.
- Sizing: from the loss branch, not the win branch. I size so that the bad case is a loss I can carry, which in practice means a fraction of my risk budget, and I say what that fraction is.
- Hedging: separate the exposure I want from the ones that come attached. If the view is idiosyncratic, hedge out the market beta, the sector, and the rate duration, then check what basis risk remains after hedging, because that is the risk I did not choose.
- Exit and monitoring: the level or the date at which I am out, plus the two or three observables that would tell me the thesis is breaking before the P&L does. And I would name the thing I cannot hedge, because every trade has one and being explicit about it is what makes the analysis credible rather than promotional.
Where candidates lose it
Describing the thesis at length and never getting to sizing, hedging or the exit. Anyone can have a view. What a multi-manager platform is hiring for is the risk framework around it, so spend at least half your answer on size, hedge and exit, and name the unhedgeable residual yourself.
Expect next
- What is your stop, and why there?
- What would make you double the position?
- What risk are you left with after hedging?
Reported by candidates at Schonfeld (Quantitative Research, New York, 2021). Source: Wall Street Oasis.
074How would you model market impact and slippage for a strategy you are sizing?Quant researchQuant trading
Say this
Split the cost into spread, temporary impact and permanent impact. The empirical regularity worth knowing is the square-root law: impact scales roughly with the square root of the order size as a fraction of daily volume, times the volatility.
Then walk it
- The square-root law: impact in volatility units is approximately a constant times the square root of order size over average daily volume, with the constant usually estimated around 0.5 to 1. So trading 1 percent of ADV in a 2 percent daily vol name costs roughly 0.1 times 2 percent, about 20 basis points.
- That non-linearity is what caps capacity. Doubling your size only increases impact by 41 percent per share, but total cost grows as size to the power 1.5, so cost eats your edge faster than your edge grows.
- Separate temporary from permanent. Temporary impact reverts after you stop trading and is a function of how fast you trade. Permanent impact is the information your trading revealed, and it does not come back. Almgren-Chriss style frameworks trade off the two against the risk of trading slowly.
- Estimating it honestly: use your own fills against arrival price, not a vendor model, and regress realised shortfall on participation rate, volatility and spread. You need a lot of trades, and you must control for the fact that you traded more aggressively when you had more signal, which biases the estimate.
- And the modelling discipline: be conservative, because impact is the parameter most likely to turn a profitable backtest into a losing strategy. I would rather assume twice the cost and discover I was pessimistic than the reverse. That preference is the answer they want to hear.
Where candidates lose it
Assuming linear impact or using the quoted spread as the whole cost. For any size that matters the spread is the small part. Know the square-root law and know that cost scaling as size to the power 1.5 is what determines capacity, because that is the link between a research result and a business decision.
Expect next
- Why does cost scale as size to the power one and a half?
- How do you separate permanent from temporary impact empirically?
- How does impact determine the capacity of a strategy?
Firm tags come from public, anonymous candidate reports on Wall Street Oasis: strong signal, not sworn testimony. Firms are named as the places a question was reported, not as partners of Fin Maverick. Answers are written for this page to show how to think out loud; they are not scripts to recite.

