Venture Capital interview preparation
Sourcing, unit economics, term sheets, cap tables, fund economics and the India venture market. Every question is either traced to a named firm from a public candidate report, or tagged at desk level when we could not trace it — answers lead with the point, then the mechanism, then the limitation.
100 questions, mapped to the firms that asked them
- Questions
- 100
- Traced to a firm
- 31
- Firms
- 12
- Updated
- September 2026
093Why do you want to do venture capital rather than starting your own company?Bessemer Venture PartnersGrowth Equity · New York · 2014
Say this
Because I want to work on the pattern across many companies rather than the depth of one, and I think that is where I am actually better. And I would say plainly that I have not ruled out founding something later — pretending otherwise would not be believable and every partner in the room knows it.
Then walk it
- Lead with the positive case for the investor's job rather than a reason against founding. The investor's craft is breadth: seeing forty companies attack the same market, learning which go-to-market motions work in which segment, and being useful to a founder because you have watched the mistake before.
- Then a self-assessment with evidence. Something like: I have been at my best forming and defending a view across a set of options, and I have seen in myself that the thing a founder needs — total single-minded obsession with one product for a decade — is not my natural mode. That is honest and it is a real distinction.
- Then address the suspicion behind the question directly. They are testing whether you are using venture as a waiting room, and whether you will leave in eighteen months to found something. So say where you actually stand: the honest position is usually 'this is what I want to do now and I want to be good at it, and if I found something one day it would be because of something I learned here, not despite it.'
- The bad answers to avoid: 'I don't have an idea yet', which says you would leave the moment you had one. And 'I'm not a risk-taker', which is a strange thing to say about a job whose product is taking risk.
- It helps enormously to have some operating or building experience, even small, and to describe it accurately. Someone who has built something and can explain what they learned about their own preferences is far more credible than someone reasoning about it abstractly.
- And it is worth naming the asymmetry candidly: the people who become great investors quite often tried building first. Firms hire ex-founders deliberately. So the answer is not 'I would never' — it is a clear account of why this seat is the right one for the next five years.
Where candidates lose it
Saying you do not have an idea yet, which tells them exactly when you will resign. And overclaiming that you would never found a company, which is not believable. The answer they respect is a genuine preference for breadth over depth, backed by a specific self-observation, plus honesty about the long run.
Expect next
- What would make you leave to start something?
- Have you ever built anything? Tell me what you learned.
- What do you think is the hardest part of being a founder?
Reported by candidates at Bessemer Venture Partners (Growth Equity, New York, 2014). Source: Wall Street Oasis.
Firm tags come from public, anonymous candidate reports on Wall Street Oasis: strong signal, not sworn testimony. Firms are named as the places a question was reported, not as partners of Fin Maverick. Answers are written for this page to show how to think out loud; they are not scripts to recite.
